1.13.2016

Thrift Shopping and Shelfie Styling


Thrift Shopping and Shelfie Styling

I went for a quick thrift shopping trip the other day and I scored some cute little brass swans.  I don't know you but when I buy any home decor item, new or used I don't care, I just want to run home, clean and rearrange stuff in the room where I'm going to display my new found treasures.  That is exactly what happened once I walked through the door, I got the urge for shelfie styling or in this case restyling!

Thrift Shopping and Shelfie Styling

These poor little swans swam straight into my hands and I decided I should adopt them.  The bowl one was not part of the set but it reminded me of Nate's Gold Bird Dish, that I love of course and it was only $2.  The other two swans were $5 for both.  I was so giddy when I walked out of there with my newly adopted family of swans.  I couldn't wait to show them their new home.  

Thrift Shopping and Shelfie Styling

Thrift Shopping and Shelfie Styling

When I got home I gave them a quick scrub down with some Lysol scrubby wipes.  I wanted to display them on the floating shelves in the dinning room so I got to work.  I emptied them out, and wiped them down too and I also took down the black mirror.    

Thrift Shopping and Shelfie Styling

Thrift Shopping and Shelfie Styling

Key features for my shelfie styling look

  • Narrow down items to avoid it from looking too cluttered
  • Create movement with different colors, textures, and heights 
  • Choose a color palette, I went neutral with white, wood tones and gold 
  • Different textures and materials, I used wood, brass, ceramic and glass
  • Alternate heights to keep the eye moving
  • Use odd numbers, count groups of like items as 1, ex. 6 wood cups = 1 item 
  • Add greenery

Thrift Shopping and Shelfie Styling

Thrift Shopping and Shelfie Styling

I switched out the black mirror for the rattan one.  The colors and texture go much better with the items on the shelf.  My sister loved the black mirror so I gave it to her and she hung it over her entryway table in her apartment.  I'm happy that it found a new home.

Thrift Shopping and Shelfie Styling

Thrift Shopping and Shelfie Styling

The swans finally made it to there new home and they love it here!  I wasn't too happy with the way the floating shelves looked before and I wasn't feeling the black mirror either but after a few tweeks, I'm loving how everything ties in now.  Funny how a little thrift shopping inspired me to do a whole shelfie styling makeover.  Don't you just love when that happens?

Linking

36 comments:

  1. I love the little ducklings! What a great find!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The ducks were such a great find! They look right at home on your shelf :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love thrift store finds! Your shelves look great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thrift stores are my favorite places to buy little things for my home! I have a super neat print of van Gogh's Sunflowers in this old vintage frame I got for like $15 eight years back. One of my favorite home items!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love finding little treasures at second hand stores, most of my favorite home decor items are from thrift stores! I'm glad to see you enjoy them too, Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. This is the cutest room I'v ever seen! I love these shelves. I really want to do something like this at my house - it looks so bright and alive. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cassie, I'm glad you like my shelves, have fun decorating your house!

      Delete
  6. I love thrifting and participate in a thrift store swap with a few other bloggers. So fun and your shelving looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Erlene, thrift store swaps with other bloggers sounds fun! Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I adore shelf styling. Since we renovated our apartment, my husband swears that I want to put shelves on every wall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome, they are so much fun to decorate!

      Delete
  9. You did an amazing job. I had to take a picture on my phone since I'm moving this is something I will consider doing.I admire your writing style I believe the ducks are in great hands.:) http://sheismelrose.net/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Melody, I'm so happy you you want to do something similar in you r home! Thank you for saying you admire my writing style, that means a lot to me as a writer!

      Delete
  10. The swans are great! I love how that plant looks on the shelves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks I love having plants everywhere!

      Delete
  11. I had little bronze ducks like that growing up

    ReplyDelete
  12. They're so cute. They make a cute addition to your self.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is not my area of gifting, but I loved seeing what you did and how you added something beautiful out of something others discarded. The explanation and the photos were so complimentary! Great to visit you from 100 Happy Days as your neighbor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pam, thank you for your kind words, I'm so happy that you enjoyed reading it! Thank you for stopping by!

      Delete
  14. Love your shelves! I always wonder what "rules" to follow when decorating them. This is helpful! Stopping by from the SHINE blog hop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kelli, I'm glad you found it useful!

      Delete
  15. Great look!
    I agree about narrowing down which items you use so it's not cluttered. This allows you to see and enjoy each item!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I can't wait til I have my own space so I can deck it out the way I want to! :] I love the color palette you chose, and I'm always a fan of greenery! :]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Farrah! It's so much fun to be able to put your own stamp on your home!

      Delete
  17. Very cute, and definitely loving on the entire shelf decor! Thank you so much for sharing with us over at The Creative Circle link party. See ya next week :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is absolutely gorgeous! Thanks so much for sharing and for linking up with The Alder Collective. Hope to see you again Tuesday! Have an awesome week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, I look forward to it!

      Delete
  19. Your swans are just lovely, Lilly :) Thanks so much for linking up with Vintage Charm. We loved having you and hope to see you again!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...