2.16.2016

Kitchen Cabinet Makeover Reveal


kitchen cabinet makeover reveal white and wood stained

Finally, I'm going to share the kitchen cabinet makeover reveal!  It took us a lot longer than we expected to get this done. But we are finally putting the paint brushes and the rollers down.  At least until we recoup from all the unplanned painting we did these past few weeks.  We didn't have a plan for this or a budget because it wasn't in the cards to do this project just yet.  I don't know if you recall from this post but this all started because I wanted a cup of tea.  First I just wanted to do a quick reorganization, then I started pulling off contact paper, next thing you know I'm removing doors and stripping paint off the kitchen cabinets.  We didn't think things through we just went with it.

kitchen cabinet makeover reveal white and wood stained

kitchen cabinet makeover reveal white and wood stained

kitchen cabinet makeover reveal white and wood stained

kitchen cabinet makeover reveal white and wood stained

 Before we had clumpy, flat painted ugly cabinets.  I'm not exaggerating, you can see for yourself here.  Whenever we would clean a them the paint would come off because they were not primed.  They were painted with a flat, cheap paint that would absorb stains and they had thick, clumpy brush marks all over.  Now we have beautiful, smooth, semi gloss kitchen cabinets.  We went with semi gloss white all over the frames of the cabinets and the cabinet fronts on the top cabinets.  For the bottom fronts we stained them in a nice dark Jacobean stain.

kitchen cabinet makeover reveal white and wood stained

kitchen cabinet makeover reveal wooden knobs

kitchen cabinet makeover reveal white and wood stained

kitchen cabinet makeover reveal white and wood stained

Since we didn't have a budget set in place for this we used a lot of things we had on hand.  Such as, paint, painting supplies and stain.  We spent about $78 dollars to give our kitchen cabinets a makeover, thanks to all the supplies we already had.

What did we purchase? 

  • Shelf liners for the inside of the cabinets 
  • Primer
  • Polycrylic 
  • Extra foam rollers 
  • Cabinet hardware template
  • Dowel rod 
  • T-nuts 
  • Screws

We also saved money by reusing the hinges and cabinet pulls.  They had paint all over them but I was able to remove it all and they looked shiny and new again.


  We were going to order all new hardware but then figured we could save more by reusing the ones that were already there.  The pulls look similar to the ones we were going to buy and they are in new condition.  Instead we removed the cup pulls from the drawers and replaced them with the existing pulls that were on the top cabinets.  The cup pulls didn't match with the modern lines of the rest of the hardware.

kitchen cabinet makeover reveal white and wood stained

For the top cabinets we made our own knobs out of wooden dowels.  I will share the details on how we DIY-ed them in a future post.  I used the same stain on them as the bottom cabinets.
*update- How to DIY wood knobs

kitchen cabinet makeover reveal wooden knobskitchen cabinet makeover reveal white and wood stained wooden knobs

kitchen cabinet makeover reveal white and wood stained


When I shared the the Lightening up the kitchen post I shared a list of things I would like to do in this for now phase, let's take a look and see where we are on that...

For now phase


  • Prime and paint the trim and ceiling semi gloss white.
  • Sand and repaint the cabinets, the paint job was done very poorly.
  • Change out the hardware on the cabinets.
  • Replace the hanging light fixture over the sink with something more our style.
  • Do something about the wasted space over the refrigerator.

Look at that, not bad!  All that's left to do is change out the light fixture over the sink and work on the wasted space above the refrigerator.  I shared on this post the budget friendly light fixture I want to buy for over the sink.  For the top of the fridge I'm still simmering a few ideas I have on my head, not quite sure what I will end up doing yet.  But this is a huge improvement on the kitchen.  I hope you enjoyed the kitchen cabinet makeover reveal!  


Linking up to
Creative Party * Titus 2 Tuesday * Lou Lou Girls Fabulous Party * Inspire me Tuesday * Two uses Tuesday * Turn it up Tuesday * Too cute Tuesday * Show and Tell * Brag about it * Pin-spiration * Anti-Procrastination Tuesday * Handmade Tuesday * Pin Worthy Wednesday * Worthwhile Wednesdays * The Wednesday Showcase * The Adler Collective * Waiting on Wednesday * Wine'd Down Wednesday * Moonlight and Mason Jars * A little R & R * Creative Muster * Whimsy Wednesday * Coffee and Conversation * Wicked Awesome Wednesday * The Wednesday Round up * The organized dream * The Home Making Party * Create it Thursday * Pin Junkie * Creative Ways * Creative Inspirations * Thursday Favorite Things * This is How we Roll Thursday * Wonderful Wednesday * Thriving on Thursday * Artsy Fartsy * Idea Box Thursday * 100 Happy Days * Home Matters *

58 comments:

  1. So cute! I love the contrast of hte dark wood and the white!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I like how that contrast looks too!

      Delete
  2. I really like the knobs you used. They are so different from what is usually used.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I love being different and that's why we made these custom knobs!

      Delete
  3. Wow! What a difference. I love the contrast. Also, the knobs are really unique - love them too! x Natalie www.thegirlwithbangs.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how you were able to update for cheap! We just redid a bunch of our kitchen over the past 2 years, also on a budget. We had old, almost orange wood cabinets with black hardware. I painted all the cabinets white (some of it needs already re-done...never let a 2yr old near primer). I also didn't want to spend a lot of money on hardware so I spray painted it all silver.

    We did the walls a couple months ago. Your light fixture is already 10x better than mine! That is also on my list of things to change. :) Also, you and I have the same counters. lol #Titus2Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love cheap easy fixes that make the space feel 100 x better. I would love to re do the counters to real butcher block someday or try my hand at diy-ing some concrete ones. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. Wow! This looks neat! I never thought to do the bottom cabinets different than the top. Love the idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! I always used to paint our kitchen cabinets white but I've had the bottom cabinets darker since my little girls started moving around getting them dirty. It's more forgiving!

      Delete
  6. I remember when you started you were just adding liners and then suddenly you took apart your kitchen! Haha. Great outcome!!

    www.writingmotherfashionista.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember when you started you were just adding liners and then suddenly you took apart your kitchen! Haha. Great outcome!!

    www.writingmotherfashionista.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that was exactly what happened, I'm glad the painting is done for now in the kitchen!

      Delete
  8. Great work on the cabinets. Beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, well done! I am thinking of refinishing our kitchen cabinets so this is inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have fun refinishing your kitchen cabinets, thank you!

      Delete
  10. Love this! I feel like kitchens are one of the hardest places to make it beautiful but still remain on a budget. These look amazing though and you did a wonderful job! And you've given me some ideas if I ever need to do mine :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hanna, I didn't didn't want to get into the kitchen makeover process for fear of spending too much but I got creative and saved a lot!

      Delete
  11. This turned out beautifully! I love the two-toned look! Repainting cabinets can be so much work, but it really makes a world of a difference in the kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, very true lots of hard work but worth it in the end!

      Delete
  12. I love the hardware on your cabinets. Especially the uppers! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The cabinets look great!! I love the clean simple look of your kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uhh, I like how you described it, clean and simple! Thank you :-)

      Delete
  14. This is great and the cabinets look awesome. I really need to redo my cabinets so I'm glad I found this post :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this! You've added so much character.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This was so inspiring! We are planning to fix our cabinets this spring so you gave me a lot of great ideas and tips

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you picked up some ideas from me, best of luck fixing up your cabinets!

      Delete
  17. Wow! I love them! Especially the stained doors on the bottom. I hate ours and desperately want to paint them out, but I can't seem to work up the guts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You should, you wont regret it in the end!

      Delete
  18. Nice job and great job on the budget too! The "not really planned" aspect is something that happens to me all the time! Thanks so much for sharing with us at Brag About It! Pinning and tweeting to share.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the opportunity to link up!

      Delete
  19. Those bottom cabinets are gorgeous. Very nice job. And I love how you tied the top with the bottom by adding pulls stained the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Rebecca, the bottom cabinets truly have my heart, we love the way those came out!

      Delete
  20. This kitchen is very unique. I applaud you for that. I'm so impressed that you made your own knobs. Hardware can really bring up the cost of redoing a kitchen. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad we chose this route, I like being unique or different, we spent under $10 on the hardware!! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  21. How beautiful!! It's amazing what a little elbow grease can do! Thank you for sharing with us at the #HomeMattersParty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we do lots of elbow grease around here in order to save lots of money and it usually pays off!

      Delete
  22. The cabinets look great! I would never have the courage to dig into something like this and likely not begin to know what to do after I started stripping off contact paper. I so appreciate seeing a project like this! Congrats on a great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pam, one thing just happened after the other but it's a good thing we are avid diyers so we are used to this happening and it helped that we already had 3 more kitchens under our belts for this type of thing! Thank you for stopping by!

      Delete

  23. Thank you for sharing at the Thursday Favorite Things blog hop

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for hosting and coming over to show some love!

      Delete
  24. Great job on the cabinets - thank you for sharing with Pin Worthy Wednesday

    ReplyDelete
  25. Lovely! Thanks for joining us on the Alder Collective!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Just discovered your site and I love it! This kitchen is absolutely breathtaking! I love everything about it.

    Parker Home Furniture

    Kitchen Cabinets Parker


    ReplyDelete
  27. I LOVE your kitchen cabinet! It is so modern and stunning! I pinned it for inspiration!

    Cleveland Dining Room Furniture

    Cleveland Kitchen Cabinets

    ReplyDelete
  28. Just found your site and I love it! and You did an amazing job! Totally inspiring!


    Kitchen Cabinet Santa Fe

    Home Kitchen Remodeling

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...