7.10.2015

West Elm Stria bed Headboard Inspiration


 I fell in love with the Stria Bed from West Elm but it was definitely well over our budget.  So, I thought to myself we could build it!  I showed the bed to my hubby and he really liked it and was on board to build it with me.  So I sketched it up, came up with a list of wood and sizes that we needed them cut up to and off to the Hardware store we went.  The first picture below is the official bed from West Elm not mine.


We only made the headboard, not the bed frame, but who knows? maybe in the future (hint, hint babe ;-).   And here is our headboard.


West Elm Stria Headboard Hack

West Elm Stria Headboard Hack


Here's the bummer I love the headboard, but I don't love how the stain came out.  It's close to the stain from the original one but I don't know, I just don't like it.  I haven't sealed it yet because I'm still thinking on whether or not I should change the stain color.  I don't know what to do.  Should I keep the stain the way it is or add another coat of the oxidizing stain treatment or maybe a different stain or paint or should I just keep it the way it is and seal it already? Or, or, or, or....  Let's see what I end up doing.

12 comments:

  1. Hey - found your post from the Pinterest Challenge. I too admired that same headboard. Personally, I like the color it is. A ton of my furniture is walnut, so I lean towards that color. Can't wait to see how to actually build it. Perhaps I can convince my dude to build one as well. Looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi I'm so happy that you like my headboard and the finish. I will be posting the "tutorial" that you want soon so please come back. Hopefully once your "dude" sees how easy and cheap it is he will build one for you too.

      Delete
  2. This turned out great!! I think the color is pretty nice, actually. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Vicki, I'm glad you like it.

      Delete
  3. This is beautiful! Not to mention way better for you than the West Elm one. That one is made from reclaimed railroad ties, and from what I've read online, are exposed to tons of chemicals and human waste over their lifetime. Looking forward to seeing a tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, hopefully I can post the tutorial tomorrow so that you and everyone else who is interested can see.

      Delete
  4. This turned out brilliantly. Great job. I found you from the Pinterest Challenge at YHL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for such nice comments, I am glad to have been a part of the Pinterest challenge because thanks to it i had my first few readers and comments. It's nice to know that people are actually reading and enjoying my projects as much as I enjoy making them and writing about them.

      Delete
  5. It looks AMAZING! I like the color, but I hope you figure out how to get it to the color you had in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much my hubby likes the color so we r now debating whether we will change it or not. It's kind of growing on me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE your headboard! The color feels warm and inviting. I really like the slight variations of tones in the different wood. You may see a link back when I have to make one for myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm currently working on the tutorial post, I'm glad you like it and want to make one for yourself. All the wood is the same material the color variations comes from the oxidizing treatment I will be posting about that too.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...