7.14.2016

Traditional Modern Bohemian Desk


Traditional Modern Bohemian Desk

You've probably seen this style desk time and time again, usually in its brown state of life.  It's has a really classic, traditional style.  I wanted to create something different with it, kind of give it a little modern twist and add a dash of some whimsy in there too.  That is why I'm calling it the traditional, modern, bohemian desk.

Traditional Modern Bohemian Desk- white and stained





I can't take full credit for this one though.  I sometimes like to rough sketch my pieces out before I work on them, and that is what I did.  My 6 year old thought it would be fun to color in my sketch with a pen.

Traditional Modern Bohemian Desk- white and stained

When I saw what she had done I instantly got the idea of painting it a solid color and staining the top and the legs on one side only.  I gave her a kiss, thanked her and then told her not to scribble on mommy's sketches anymore.

Traditional Modern Bohemian Desk- white and stained

I originally had other plans for the desk of painting it in a jade color.  I wanted to make the inside cute too, so I used the jade color inside and bought a medallion stencil to add some fun turquoise pops.  I used two ceramic vintage looking teal pulls from Anthro, and 3 coordinating knobs for the drawers on the other side to balance the dark legs.  

Traditional Modern Bohemian Desk- white and stained

Traditional Modern Bohemian Desk- white and stained

I finished off the back as well so that it can be floated in the middle of a room.

Traditional Modern Bohemian Desk- white and stained

Traditional Modern Bohemian Desk- white and stained

 Now do you see why I named it the traditional, modern, bohemian desk?  It's just a very eclectic style desk now.  It's not a modern desk, but the two tone and the stained sides give it a modern edge.  It's has a traditional style but it's not painted in a traditional way.  The mismatched knobs and the whimsically painted insides give it a boho vibe.  It's not for everyone but I totally love it!

Lnking
     

4 comments:

  1. I love the look and the stencils on the drawers. I'm wondering if you have had a problem with the paint rubbing off when opening and closing the drawers? If so what is your solution?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susan,
      Thank you for your question. Prior to painting the drawers I sanded them down a lot so that I would not have a sticking problem. I sanded the top and bottom. It helped a lot, there is no sticking what so ever. Always check before painting inside of drawers how close they sit to the wood inside, to make sure you can paint them. In this case they were rubbing up against the wood so I sanded and sanded and sanded until they opened and closed very smoothly and then layered on paint in very thin coats and sealed them. Also another trick if you already painted them and they are sticking a little you could try rubbing candle wax all over the edges and tracks. I have done this on bare wood tracks that don't glide easily and it works! I hope this helps! Thank you for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Hi Lilly, I'm Anne, and I'm visiting from the Home Matters blog hop. I love your desk! I'm currently working on a dresser makeover. I always like the look of painting the drawer sides, but don't like the idea of all the extra work that would entail. A stencil, though, hmmmm. That would be the best of both words! Thanks for the inspiration. Anyway, have a wonderful day, and I hope you can pop over to my blog (https://birdsongbitsandpieces.blogspot.com) sometime to say hi!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...