Sofa Makeover For The Home Office Part Two



Home office upholstered couch ikat fabric

I'm back today with Part two of the home office sofa makeover (read part one here).  I gotta be honest, I didn't think I was going to finish it so quickly.  I knew I could but I was hesitating so much because I was not looking forward to stapling a million staples with my hand held upholstery stapler.  Came Valentines day and my husband went all hero to the rescue on me.  He bought me a few tools that I've been in dire need of.  One of them was a pneumatic stapler with a 20 gallon air compressor among other tools and lovey dovey stuff like flowers etc... Yes he kinda, no, more like, he completely outdid himself.  I love that man!  Anyhow back to the couch.  And just a reminder or if you didn't see it before, here's the UGLY before that I shared back in January.

Home office upholstered couch ikat fabric
What'd I tell you?  UGLY!

This baby went by smoothly.  The air stapler was a huge help.  I started the project in the very end of January.  I sanded the body and stained it but the stain was a little blotchy.  I knew if I was going to tackle this project it had to be done right because I don't plan on doing it again any time soon.  So I took a break and didn't touch it at all in the month of February.  A few days into March I was going to have a get together for some of our family members and my house was a finished and unfinished furniture projects mess.  I had not one but two finished dressers in the entryway/home office plus the couch on it's side and the cushions were on top of our dining table.  I knew I wanted to get everything out of the way before the get together and have additional seating in the home office where the guys always have their drinks and play Domino.  So I got my butt to work.






Home office upholstered couch ikat fabric

I sanded the frame again and stained it one day and the very next day I did all the upholstery in a few hours.  I bought new 1 inch batting to add more cushion to the couch and then I did the fabric.  I wanted the ikat prints to be somewhat symmetrical so it took some measuring and centering before doing all the cutting but it wasn't  too hard.  Also I did not want to sew, so I folded all the corners as neatly as I could and pulled the fabric nice and taught until it looked good to me and stapled.  BAM, BAM, BAM, BAM......  The back is a whole different story that I don't want to go into today.  Lastly I sealed the frame with my favorite water based poly as usual.  Look at that wood grain, uh, la, la...

Home office upholstered couch ikat fabric

Home office upholstered couch ikat fabric

The next day was our get together and we had to attach the cushions back to the frame.  Holly crappola that was a pain in the tush!!!  It took us an hour and a half because the back cushions did not want to go back on.  A lot of sweating and swearing to get them back on but somehow we made it happen.   I'm just happy that I finished and it looks great!  I LOVE the fabric and my husband loves it too so I am a very happy camper.  You know what else my husband loves about this project, that it didn't cost a small fortune ;-)

Home office upholstered couch ikat fabric

Oh yes and what do you think of one of my latest Goodwill finds?  This lamp!

Home office upholstered couch ikat fabric mid century floor lamp

I bought this clear globe LED light bulb for it, that thing almost cost more than what I paid for the lamp itself.  I don't know about you but I think it looks pretty cool.   It opens up too for storage, it's pretty neat.  This room is still getting tweaked so once I'm done I'll share the whole space.  I think it's coming together really nice and we like it a lot better now than the first time around.

Here a little before and after, what a difference some stain and fabric can do.      

Home office upholstered couch ikat fabric

Home office upholstered couch ikat fabric



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...